Founder and Global Leader
Mort O’Sullivan didn’t begin his career intending to revolutionize the cash handling business—he wanted to brew beer. At the age of 26, while taking courses in brewing and distilling at Heriot-Wall University in Scotland, he was asked to become a distributor of cash dispensing equipment for a large financial services company. Excited by the opportunity, Mort put beer on hold and moved into the world of cash automation, founding ARCA from his one-bedroom apartment in 1998.
- ML100 Visionary Leadership Award, 2015
- EY Entrepreneur of the year National Finalist, 2014
- Entrepreneurs’ Organization Board Member, 2009-2013
- 40-under-40 honoree by the Triad Business Journal, 2012
- Scholar of the Worshipful Company of Distillers
- B.A., Literature & Religion, New College of Florida
- B.S., Chemistry, City University of New York City College
- Masters coursework, Brewing & Distilling, Heriot-Watt University
As the founder and global leader of ARCA, Mort has built a global company that focuses on improving the efficiency of financial transactions for bank branches, retail stores, and self-service kiosks. Twenty years ago, Mort looked at cash automation technology and saw the potential to expand into non-traditional areas. Mort’s vision for markets beyond banks and credit unions helped pave the way for an entire industry of cash automation in verticals such as grocery store self-checkout lanes, parking garages, car washes, bill-pay kiosks, and more.
Under Mort’s leadership, ARCA has grown from a one-man operation to an international organization employing more than 300 people. ARCA’s growth can be attributed to Mort’s emphasis on continuous improvement, development of a culture that embraces change, and dedication to developing and applying technologies that solve real-world problems.
Mort lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, with his wife, Ali, and their three children. He is an avid tennis player, enjoys cooking gourmet meals, and works hard at perfecting the subtle art of home brewing. Mort is also an active member of the Raleigh-Durham Entrepreneurs’ Organization.